Can Infantry Marines attend non-infantry schools?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Can Infantry Marines attend non-infantry schools?

Sorry if it seems like I'm wavering back and forth a lot, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not I will enlist into 03XX or 35XX.

That said, I'm curious, do they ever send/allow infantry Marines to attend other schools to learn other skills like mechanic skills?

I think I've heard somewhere that they allow you to attend language schools, but I have yet to hear whether or not they send infantry marines to motor transportation schools.

Similar Threads:

if your cutting scores are high enough and they have the need for what you are going after you can make a Lat move to go to a secondary MOS.. but is all depends on the need and your scores..

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your response irpat54.

Can you explain a little about what a secondary MOS entails? Does that mean you have two MOS's and when your primary MOS has down time you go help out with your secondary MOS?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good questions. It's been so long since I was in, you would not want to hear my answers. LOL. But I wanted to let you know you are asking good and very valid questions. Others will be along to help out. Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the support and positive thoughts. I'm planning on enlisting later this month. Still have a few decisions I need to make before then though.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamachine View Post
    Thanks for your response irpat54.

Can you explain a little about what a secondary MOS entails? Does that mean you have two MOS's and when your primary MOS has down time you go help out with your secondary MOS?
    if you are approved for your secondary MOS, you will leave your primary MOS, but never be rid of it, and perform the duties full time of you new secondary MOS until which time the Corps has a greater need for you to be back into your primary MOS,,
    when I was in, my primary MOS was 0331, after I rotated back to the states, I was given a secondary MOS of Marksmanship instructor.. (I think it was 8533 not sure been so long ago), but then after a bit I was given a 3rd as an MP .. so it all depends on the Corps and where the need is, and now-a-days on your cutting scores,,

best of luck to you..

Credits
    Savings
    Ah I see. Thanks for the response! Question, did you apply to those secondary MOS's or where you assigned to them?

Formal training costs money and takes time. The USMC is not going to send you to a formal school to learn your primary MOS (say 0331) and immediately let you go to another formal school to learn another/secondary MOS (say 3531). They will want some return on their investment for the primary MOS schooling first.

That said. It is possible to acquire a secondary MOS at some point like irpat54 said (depending on the needs of the Marine Corps at the time - not your needs). For instance. Once you become a Lance Corporal (normally around 2 years service), you're eligible to apply for embassy duty. Upon graduating from the formal school in Quantico, you would be assigned the secondary MOS of 8015 (Marine Security Guard). After completing 3 years of embassy duty, you would then go back to work in your primary MOS 0331.

As far as infantry goes you can get the opportunity to get certs In many different things outside of but related to the infantry MOS. Thr closest thing to Motor T would be one of the vehicle liscenseing courses, i.e. MRAP driver, humvee driver, ammo driver and so on. A lot of those guys get trained up in maintenance as well because a mech won't always be around to fix things. In addition there are many other courses an infantry marine can be sent too involving a full spectrum of skills from first aid to information gathering to drones.

Thread Information